April 18, 2016 in ,

March Recap

I am quite late with my reflection on March, but here it is. March was a very challenging month for me filled with a devastating down with my health and a much needed peaceful getaway. Here are my top pics:
We went to Maui for 12 days during Spring Break. Although I didn't have to go to work, I did have some work to do on my Masters. Luckily I was able to do that and still enjoy the beach! That's the best spot to write an essay, I'd say!

The view off our deck. Reminds me of the Blue Hawaiian Mai Tai drink I had with the outstanding dinners we went out for. I don't cook a lot of fish, but I thoroughly enjoyed eating the fresh MahiMahi and Oko cooked up by some amazing chefs. I loved falling asleep with the doors open and listening to the sound of the waves crash all night long.

Another gorgeous sunset we watched every single night. It brings me such peace and calm. 

Yoga on the beach. I don't enjoy getting up early in the morning, but this I would do any day.

Chris and I at the Maui Wine estate. I felt like we were both able to completely relax and destress during this trip, which doesn't happen often.

A visit to a Lavender Farm in Kula, Maui. I really have not been a fan of lavender up until now when I have been realizing the calming effects it can have. I am very interested in learning more about it and planting it on our property this year.

My focus quote for the month of March was: 

"When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life." - Jean Shinoda Bolen (Pausitivity).

It was very difficult for me to leave the peacefulness and calm I encountered in Maui to come back to the hectic, negative environment in my life right now. I am working at accepting that I may not be able to change the environment I am in right now, but I can add things to other areas to make it tolerable. I need to do more things for me. I have been reading another one of Gretchen Rubin's book, Better Than Before, (she is also the author of The Happiness Project)that my friend Natasha got for me and came across a section that was very relatable to my own happiness project:

"As I hoped, Monitoring was having a good effect on my habits. Even before applying more active habits strategies, I'd noticed myself making small shifts, as the data provided by tracking helped nudge me to do better than before." (page 56)

Although monitoring may have the preconception that in order to reach perfection or the ideal goal, we must do something every single day, rather I have come to learn that being mindful about certain things I appreciate having and doing in my life can make me think about incorporating them more frequently than before.
SHARE 2 comments

Add your comment

  1. Looks like this vacation was just what you needed. It is amazing what a little "time out" can do for your whole self, especially in a place where the nature and views are so different, and so beautiful. Good for you for focusing on gratitude and mindfulness, and to not forget the things in life that give us joy and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a beautiful much needed trip

    ReplyDelete

© Allie's Adventures in the Kitchen, Crafting, and the Kootenays! · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS