December 31, 2018 in ,

Top Blog Moments of 2018

Another year has passed. A wonderful year. A peaceful year. A year filled with so much more calm and simplicity, continuing to fill my heart.

Last year I came across the greatest year-end quote that was so fitting for me. Although I included the author of the quote, I had never heard of that person. Upon looking back on my year end posts a few days ago, I was astounded to find that the author of that quote is someone amazing who I have come across this year through social media! This author finds the most appealing, fulfilling, and beautiful way to make her words feel like they are speaking directly to you. Her words are full of wisdom, optimism, and hope. Here is another Morgan Harper Nichols quote to finish off this year:


Here is a look at my blog throughout the year, month by month, and the things I have learned and crafted!


January - You Are Pretty Amazing
Getting back into the craftroom and finding time to be creative became an important goal and challenge for me. Learning how to make more simple, but satisfying cards became my mission!

February - Winter Wonderland
Ink blending continued to be a big theme throughout my cards this year. The Distress Oxide inks were especially fun to play with and watch the fun water effects.

March - Green Latte Inspiration
I am still loving to create coffee cards - my husband seems to think these are the only stamps I use - ha! This card was highlighted on the Verve blog and was fun to play around with more ink blending. I also practiced painting the cup using different ink shades to achieve a more 3D look.

April - Onesie Extenders
I was able to fit in some sewing projects throughout the year and was excited to create some onesie extenders for my son and for some friends too. I learned about the differences between organic fabrics and fabrics using environmentally friendly dyes versus fabrics that do not.

May - Coffee Lovers in Ontario
I was SO happy to be able to take a trip with Harvey and my Mom out to Ontario to see my Auntie Karen and her family this spring. We even found some time to craft together and it just so happened to be the Coffee Lovers Blog Hop! I loved visiting The Workshop in Stouffville and found these awesome blueprint coffee stamps. They have been fun to learn how to colour with markers to achieve a 3D look.

June - Mandala
When I first saw this beautiful mandala stencil from Studio Katia I couldn't stop imagining all of the gorgeous designs that could be done with it. Distress inks lend themselves so well to stencils like these and make an intricate design easy to accomplish!

July - Waterfront Thank You
This stamp set makes me think of my favourite pace on Earth - Kootenay Lake! Layering the images and using second generation stamping helped create this beautiful watercolour look.

August - Keep Calm and Drink
This card was one of a set of four that I made using the blueprint coffee stamps. They were fun to colour up with my Tombow markers. 

September - I Heart Mountain Ranges
There is just something about those mountain ranges glistening as the sun hits those beautiful snowcaps. I love how this card came together, especially with the distress ink pops for the sun and the die cut sentiment. 

October - Forest Friends Birthday
I had an idea this summer that I wanted to celebrate Harvey's 1st birthday with a forest friends theme. I sought out these cute woodland creatures from Lawn Fawn and love how the creation of this invitation came together. I also decided to better utilize my time (and cut down on waste) by only making one of these invitations and sending a picture out electronically instead.

November - Winter Wishes
These tags were the first that I created during the fabulous inspiration from the 25 Days of Christmas Tags during November. This really sparked the creation of my tag stash this year and provided so much creative inspiration! Here, I learned to first stamp and emboss snowflakes onto a strip of cardstock, ink it up with some oxide inks, and then punch out some tags.

December - Mountain Snowfall
These cards were apart of a custom collection of Christmas cards that I created especially for my friend. I enjoy tailoring cards to certain qualities and loves of close friends. I had not thought of adding white acrylic paint splatters for snow on my cards before and love how it turned out.

Bonus Picks:


'Perfect Princess' Shout Outs on Freshly Made Sketches
I was so honoured and flattered this year to make some of the top picks with a few cards using Freshly Made Sketches. This card, along with the Birthday Wishes card pictured above and a fun pumpkin spice card, were celebrated!

Shop Local, Eat Local, Eat Seasonally
I have started to really watch my shopping, not only on cutting out plastic and being less wasteful, but by learning what is made locally, too. This coming year a goal of mine includes learning to cook more seasonally through buying local produce. This asparagus recipe using Creston asparagus was a good start this year!

#ShopSmall #ShopLocal #ShopLocallyMade
I love a good quality handmade product and have enjoyed searching for and finding many Canadian makers this year, especially for baby clothes and toys. I have also made it a goal to focus on quality versus quantity in the hopes of downsizing and limiting mess and waste.

Coffee Lovers Blog Hop Designer Picks
I was incredibly excited to hear that one of my projects for the Fall/Winter Coffee Lovers Blog Hop was highlighted out of 1113 entries! These wooden tags were an awesome find at our local Farmer's Market this summer and I loved stamping onto them and colouring them up to create Christmas tags this winter. 

International Tea Day
On a whim I decided to sneak into my craftroom and play around with a tag set I got last year to celebrate my hot drink of choice! I love being able to find time to let my creativity flow :)

What have I learned this year? To have faith that things will work out in one way or another. To breathe. To let it be. Cheers to 2019!
SHARE 1 comment

Add your comment

  1. Excellent choices! Your cardmaking really blossomed this year. Can hardly wait to see what you come up with in 2019!

    ReplyDelete

© Allie's Adventures in the Kitchen, Crafting, and the Kootenays! · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS