It started with being inspired on Dawn McVey's blog the other day when she mentioned trying watercolour backgrounds with your kids. I needed to make a special 4th birthday card for our friend and decided to let my 3 year old son, Harvey, help to make it! I knew that I wanted to make a reveal wheel card, so I started by cutting out the Reveal Wheel from Tim Holtz distressed watercolour paper. I cut out another blank panel that I could use to die cut some trees out of later.

For the reveal wheel background, I got an acrylic block and inked it up with Wilted Violet + Milled Lavender distress oxide ink + Seedless Preserves distress ink. Then, I showed Harvey how to take a little bit on water on a paintbrush with some ink and put it on the paper. I let him control how he added the colour and then we put it aside to dry. Next, we took out the blank panel and painted it with Forest Moss + Rustic Wilderness + Bundled Sage distress oxide ink. I die cut some trees using the Forest Backdrop. Taking the dry reveal wheel background, I dipped my brush into some gold from Beam Paints and let Harvey tap my brush to produce some gold spatters on our background.

My friend, Nadine (whose daughter had the birthday today), has written an enchanting story about a dragon. Last year I was inspired to create her daughter's birthday card based on the story. I decided to continue with the theme this year because this magical story will soon be in print! I took out the Lawn Fawn Build-a-Castle set and cut it out in Fog cardstock. I used the Tim Holtz Bricked embossing folder to add some texture to my castle. I accented with gold foil cardstock and cut out the castle door with woodgrain cardstock. 

Along with the princess inside the castle window, this time I added the birthday girl's dog, cat, and a birthday cake. I coloured the images with my Tombow markers. Play the video below to see the reveal wheel in action.

I assembled my scene and decided to add in the dragon (Cornelius) to the bottom of it. I made a ground out of Toffee cardstock from Taylored Expressions and some Walnut Stain distress oxide inked at the top and spattered onto the cardstock.

I wanted to include the recipient's age on the card somehow and decided to do so inside the castle doors. I also decided to add in four stars to the sky using die cuts from the Forest Backdrop. I loved the reveal wheel sentiment included in Tiny Fairy Tale: Turn Here For Magic. It was the perfect fit!

Paper: Distress watercolour paper (Tim Holtz); Coldpress watercolour paper (Canson); Gold Foil (CTMH); Fog, Let it Shine, Woodgrain (Lawn Fawn); Toffee (Taylored Expressions)
Ink: Seedless Preserves distress; Bundled Sage, Forest Moss, Milled Lavender, Rustic Wilderness, Walnut Stain, Wilted Violet distress oxide (Tim Holtz); Archival Black, Black (CTMH)
Stamps: Little Dragon, Tiny Fairy Tale, Tiny Friends
Dies: Build-a-Castle, Forest Backdrop, Little Dragon, Oliver's Stitched 123s (LF)


SHARE 1 comment

Add your comment

  1. Talk about an amazing birthday card!! And I love the tablecloth put down to protect your table. Harvey did an awesome job. So did Mom.

    ReplyDelete

© Allie's Adventures in the Kitchen, Crafting, and the Kootenays! · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS