I am up on the Studio Katia Blog today with a new project! To start off Earth week, I thought it would be fitting to showcase a zero waste card using plantable paper! This biodegradable paper is made in Canada using post-consumer paper waste and embedded with wildflower seeds. Because this card can be planted, I wanted to keep it one layer and not use any adhesives or embellishments. I took out the Gladiolus stamp set and stamped it in the middle of my card with black ink using my stamping platform. Next, I created a mask on a piece of 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 masking paper by stamping the flowers in the same spot using my stamping platform. I cut this mask out and saved the negative. I trimmed off the stems but kept them to use.

I lined up the negative mask with the outline of my flowers on the plantable paper. I added in the stem pieces so only the flowers were available. Plantable paper can be challenging to colour because if it gets too wet it will disintegrate, so I decided that ink blending could work to add colour to my flowers. I took some Spun Sugar distress oxide ink and lightly inked the flowers using a blending brush. Then, I took some Picked Raspberry distress oxide and inked the flower petal edges. I removed my stem masks and then added in the mask over the flowers. Then I took Mowed Lawn distress oxide and inked up the stems. I removed all of my masks and then re-stamped the flowers in black using my stamping platform.

I wanted to create a sentiment for Mother's Day and took out 'Mama' from the Daisy Bunch stamp set and paired it with 'I Appreciate You' from the Simply 'Hi' stamp set and stamped them both in black. To finish things off, I took out the Large Polka Stencil. Using a blending brush and some Picked Raspberry distress oxide ink, I added some polka dots to the envelope flap. The envelope is plantable, too!


I created a video tutorial on YouTube as well as a reel on Instagram!

Thanks for stopping by!

Stamps: Daisy Bunch, Gladiolus, Simply 'Hi' (Studio Katia)
Ink: Black (CTMH); Mowed Lawn, Picked Raspberry, Spun Sugar distress oxide (Tim Holtz)
Stencil: Large Polka Stencil (Studio Katia)
Supplies: Blending Brushes, Bone FolderCrafty Tool Stand (Studio Katia)

SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© Allie's Adventures in the Kitchen, Crafting, and the Kootenays! · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS